Notwithstanding Brexit, the total number of companies in the UK is increasing.
According to the recently published UK Companies House statistics:
1. During the third quarter of 2018 from 1st July to 30th September there were 164,424 new incorporations and 131,407 dissolutions in the UK.
2. As at 30th September 2018, there were a total of 4,111,057 companies on the companies register. After adjusting that number, by deducting the number of companies in the course of dissolution or liquidation, there were a total of 3,843,514 on the effective register.
3. Both the total and effective registers of companies in the UK have continued to increase in size at a steady rate since 2012, although this has slowed in recent years.
4. Consistent with trends in recent years, there were more incorporations in the third quarter of 2018 than in the same period in 2017.
5. Increases were seen in all constituent parts of the UK : England and Wales increased by 0.9%, Scotland by 0.9% and Northern Ireland by 1.4%.
6. The total number of public companies on the register continues to decline. On 1st July 2018 there were 6,438 public companies on the register, whereas by 30th September 2018 there were only 6,381.
7. The total number of limited liability partnerships (LLPs) on the register continues to decline. On 1st July 2018 there were 49,763 LLPs on the register, whereas by 30th September 2018 there were only 49,391.
Companies House statistics
Companies House produces quarterly reports about those companies newly incorporated to and removed from the register, and the total and effective register sizes amongst other matters. The total register size includes all companies on the companies register. The effective register size is the total register size less the number of companies in the course of dissolution or liquidation.
Information is provided for all UK incorporated entities, being companies (whether public or private) and LLPs.
Need to talk?
If you are considering setting up a new company or business in the UK, we can help you to understand the process, to choose the option that is right for you and to establish your new company or business.
If you would like more information about setting up a new company or business in the UK or would like to discuss a potential or existing company or business, please contact us by telephone on +44 (0)20 3126 4520 or +45 38 88 16 00 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org